- About Us
- Event Calendar
- Curated Recommendations
- Preorder Now, Read Later
- Original Programming
- Non-Profit Programs
- Business Programs
- School Programs
You are hereBack to top
JEW-ISH COOKING with Jake Cohen
Jew-ish: A Cookbook: Reinvented Recipes from a Modern Mensch is an ode to the magic of Jewish Diaspora dishes that still preserves the cultural importance of food as connection. Jake Cohen, food writer extraordinaire, joins Creating Conversations & CTJ Sisterhood to share recipes from his NYT bestselling cookbook, Jew-ish: Reinvented Recipes From A Modern Mensch.
Your ticket includes a copy of Jew-ish: Reinvented Recipes From A Modern Mensch and all fees associated with producing this event.
Your book may be picked up from Creating Conversations or delivered if you live within 5 miles of CTJ. Otherwise, we will arrange to ship it to you.
Upon registration, a Zoom link will be sent you. Additional reminders, including the Zoom link will be sent prior to the event.
Jake Cohen is a bright new star in the food world, a former food staffer at Saveur, then food editor of Tasting Table and Time Out New York, and most recently the editorial and test kitchen director of social media juggernaut the FeedFeed (@thefeedfeed). He has written for publications including Food52, Food & Wine, Real Simple, Everyday with Rachael Ray, and more. He lives in New York City with his husband, Alex.
Recipe highlights include:
- Breakfast: Sabich Bagel Sandwiches, Rose Water and Cardamom French Toast, and Shakshuka alla Vodka
- Apps & Snacks: Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Dip (Kashke Bademjan), Knish-Wrapped Pigs-in-a-Blanket, and Perfect Potato Latkes
- Salads and Vegetables: Little Gem Salad with Pickled Celery and Tahini Dressing, Date-Roasted Brussels Sprouts, and Baharat Smashed Potatoes
- Soups + Stews: French Onion Brisket, Roasted Chicken Matzo Ball Soup, and Persian Beef, Herb, and Kidney Bean Stew (Khoresh-e Ghormeh Sabzi)
- Carbs and Mains: Fresh Za’atar Pesto Risotto, Kugel and Cheese, and Eggplant Dolmeh (Beef-Stuffed Eggplant)
- Desserts and Drinks: Tiramatzu (Matzo Tiramisu), Black-and-White Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Kubaneh Cinnamon Rolls
Sunday, October 3, 2021 - 2:00pm
Redondo Beach, CA 90278
Availability: Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
Published: Mariner Books - March 9th, 2021
A brilliantly modern take on Jewish culinary traditions for a new generation of readers, from a bright new star in the culinary world.
When you think of Jewish food, a few classics come to mind: chicken soup with matzo balls, challah, maybe a babka if you're feeling adventurous. But as food writer and nice Jewish boy Jake Cohen demonstrates in this stunning debut cookbook, Jewish food can be so much more.
In Jew-ish, he reinvents the food of his Ashkenazi heritage and draws inspiration from his husband's Persian-Iraqi traditions to offer recipes that are modern, fresh, and enticing for a whole new generation of readers. Imagine the components of an everything bagel wrapped into a flaky galette latkes dyed vibrant yellow with saffron for a Persian spin on the potato pancake, best-ever hybrid desserts like Macaroon Brownies and Pumpkin Spice Babka! Jew-ish features elevated, yet approachable classics along with innovative creations, such as:
- Jake's Perfect Challah
- Roasted Tomato Brisket
- Short Rib Cholent
- Iraqi Beet Kubbeh Soup
- Cacio e Pepe Rugelach
- Sabich Bagel Sandwiches, and
- Matzo Tiramisu.
Jew-ish is a brilliant collection of delicious recipes, but it's much more than that. As Jake reconciles ancient traditions with our modern times, his recipes become a celebration of a rich and vibrant history, a love story of blending cultures, and an invitation to gather around the table and create new memories with family, friends, and loved ones.